Wednesday 19 October 2011

PROVERBIALLY YOURS// Research

More inspirational designs I used to inspire my Poster work. I have tried to find stuff that is Text based, Image based and of course a mixture of the two.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6168/6210612524_30cf3396df_b.jpg
This first example features a style I really love. Multiplying a colour over whole image is a great way to print photographs with only one colour and black. I am limited to only one colour in black, so this could be a really useful tool. Also I have began a hunt to try and find the typeface this designer has used.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6113/6214178072_1dd58bf7bc_z.jpg
Here the poster is almost all just one variation of a khaki colour. Armed with this the designer has created a poster with a lot of content. I suppose the lesson is that you only need one colour and black to create almost anything. Its interesting to note that the font used at the top looks like a knockoff Cola font. Why was this used for The Doors Tribute Band.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6119/6215032240_f7f9fa6553_b.jpg
I have been looking at pictograms as a way to communicate in very quick and simple ways. Here is one designers idea of an updated airport pictogram system. This is a failure and a success in my opinion. A failure as the whole point for the existing system is the idea of simplicity, over complicating the pictograms only reduces its international understanding. It is a success because the pictograms are still understandable and in some ways are more interesting and decorative. However int his another problem arises; People glance these signs and are not looking for beauty but function.


http://www.123klan.com/upload/images/portfolio/nike-mexico04.jpg
http://www.123klan.com/upload/images/portfolio/nike-mexico06.jpg
These are some interesting designs by 123klan for Nike. They are illustrations of Mexican wrestlers. What interests me is the level of detail seen what are essentially fairly simplistic drawings with a limited range of colours. The style of the text is also very simple but very cool, filling in counters is something I realise a lot of designers are doing now. I also think the caps italics font is great, it adds some power too the text and complements the images well, especially in the second image where the wrestler almost points to the text.


http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6146/6201439280_63b725250d_o.jpg
This is an example of some heavily stylised text I though would be interesting to look at because I am at a crossroads with my Text only poster. Text like this does add some kind of emotion I suppose and is usually used to create a laid back homely feel to the design.The designer has also added some kind of texture to the work, is don't think this really adds anything really other than perhaps a slightly work look.


http://www.flickr.com/photos/phildesignart/6209046180/sizes/l/in/photostream/

A humorous poster with similar dimensions to my own, text laid out like this is a common recurring theme in many poster I have been looking at so I should give it a go when for my text only poster I think. This is also a great example of a design which uses both text and image as well as a very limited range of colours. The style of using old 40's and 50's fashion is popular at the moment too but I think its becoming a bit repetitive. I think its popular with comedic design because the 50's were an era for naivety in many peoples eyes so it fits with the design above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment