Saturday 5 November 2011

PROVERBIALLY YOURS// Message and Delivery

Inspiration from Graphic Designer Luke Lucas.

 This was a brief for Esquire magazine, In a style similar to there own, Luke had to create an image which relates to an industry, much like our brief at the moment. The idea is fairly simple but packs in the message of an article specifically about mens hair, which I think is quite impressive.


This was for a revolving poster wall at a club in Melbourne. Its tells a rather cheesy love story, but I am more interested in the typography, which looks like its from a 70's album sleeve in my opinion, however this probably reflects the tone of the club and perhaps the music or audience. I need to reflect the tone of a surgeon in my work, this sounds like it could be boring but I bet I can find a heavy clean cut font which looks the part.


This brief was for a German Magazine called Sushi, who wanted some illustrations on the theme of 'Labyrinth'. I realise here that Luke Lucas is a very adaptable typographer and that this is the importance of my current brief, for us to break out of our normal styles and try something different.
I do really like this work, the word Amazing makes up a giant labyrinth but at the same time is very difficult to make out at first. You could also say that the overall shape makes up a big square speech bubble?



Luke Lucas' most notable style is this liquid flowing typography. I am not usually a fan of this style really, but I do see how well it can suit a certain brief very well. Here it is obviously wine and the ability to turn type, a usually totally stationary form into something which really looks like its flowing across the page is very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment