Saturday 29 December 2012

DESIGN FOR PRINT AND WEB// Typography Research

Over Christmas I've been doing some reading for the print book and ISTD briefs which I need to get on with urgently now. I have been generally brushing up on terminology and processes with these books. They mostly focus on typography and occasionally print.
 Firstly ABC of 20th Century Graphics by Sergio Polano and Pierpaolo Vetta.The book is fairly text heavy with a large number of essays covering just about every style of graphic design up until 2003, making it a tad dated but still extremely useful for the majority of typography related themes. 

 Kurt Schwitters 'phonenticization' of his name experimenting with weights and strokes to get the right sounds as you pronounce the letters.

 The book runs on to cover some more recent typography, but in 2003 this section is full of stuff that is fairly unpopular right now.


 Typography by Gavin Ambrose and Paul Harris covers the fundamentals of typography and typographic design. This was probably the most informative book I have come across on the subject. The book walks through various aspects of typography and puts examples in context for the reader.

This page about the anatomy of type has been particularly useful. Its all stuff I have look into before but its just so easy to forget this stuff, you really need to know it to be respected.

The books gives loads of examples for every subject which is about the most helpful thing which the project I have to get on with.

Just My Type by Simon Garfield is more like a story book than the others, it covers intersting stories about the ways various typefaces came into existence. For the subject of my website this is particularly useful because I just don't have the knowledge to link all of my characters to a typeface at the moment.
Again the book uses a fair number of examples to illustrate general theory and usually uses famous places or people, giving the typefaces an essence of celebrity also, something which I would like to do with my own website.

No comments:

Post a Comment